Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Promess to myself: I will keep this program for the next year at least

I’m getting back to my roots and start a basic PTTP template: 2-4 exercises, 5 days/week, 2 sets, 5 reps, maybe a 3rd set for the press, 3-5min rest. I will use a 4 block of 3 weeks approach, 12 weeks total. Once every micro-cycle, usually around the 12-13 workout, I will test my strength with a 5-3-2 reps scheme, still keeping 1-2 in the the bank.

Block 1
-Squat variations. I want to keep this variation as close as possible of the deadlift
-Side press (barbell, dumbbell or kettlebell)
-20-40 KB swings
-Ab roller

Block 2
-Conventional deadlift
-Dips (rings or parallel bars)
-20-40 snatches
-Leg raise variations

Block 3
-Deadlift variation (sumo, snatch, saddle, behind the back, etc.)
-Side press (barbell, dumbbell or kettlebell)
-Pull ups 10-25 reps total between sets
-Ab roller

Block 4
-Conventional deadlift
-Dips (rings or parallel bars)
-20-40 snatches
-Leg raise variations

I won’t plan the three weeks poundage, but try to remember Pavel’s words on it, something like lifting with no emotion and going heavier as I grow stronger leaving 1 or 2 (in my case 2 is a good reference!) in the bank. I must strive for perfect form, make that workout repeatable and make sure it brings my dancing up and not down.

I decided to switch from 2 to 3 weeks approach, because of the variety of movements, which I assume will slow down my progress, but I'll do it anyway for the sake of variety. The 2 weeks model would have worked fine with 2 identical blocks. Boredom is a bitch and, after those 2 years experimenting, I know I need to change some variables or I'll go crazy.

I choose the Zercher squat as my first squat variation, not because I like it more, but because I bought those elbow sleeves a couple months back and never had the chance to try them on. It still hurts! I guess I’ll get used to it.

I also tried separate my workout in 2 with half the exercises I can do home and the other half at the gym. It helps to keep my fresh and makes it easier to manage my schedule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment