Thursday, January 12, 2012

The mental game

Nick Williams gave me a piece of advice one day, he said: ‘’Fred, competition is a mental game’’. I would now say: ‘’being a professional artist is a freaking mental game….every day!’’. For more on that subject, I suggest to read The War of Art by Steven Pressfield, truly inspiring.

I used to focus on my workout, just like if I would stop it, I would be drawn back to an amateur. I used to workout 5 to 7 days a week, planning every piece to develop my dancer’s skills. If I couldn’t practice for whatever reason, my workout would keep me together. I knew it was too much for my body. Even with my legendary endurance, my energy level was not up to the roof. I was being counter productive.

It might be my geeky personality, but I need to focus on something, so now I focus on eating. My diet being organized and keeping my mental state stable, I have been able to optimize my workouts and my dance practices. Doing less for more results, what about that?!

Frédéric Barbe

No comments:

Post a Comment